Browse All Online Courses
$60 members / $100 non-members 4.0 CE credits
Purchase Already purchased? Sign in to take this course
Explore massage therapy in a sports setting, and how sports medicine differs from other specialties. Understand the skills needed to work with athletes and break into the sports medicine field. Learn massage therapy techniques and how to customize sessions for athletes.
This course is an introduction to massage therapy in the sports medicine setting. It details how to find a job, skills needed, what to expect in this setting and how to tailor your sessions to each athlete. When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Understand the unique requirements of a specialty in sports medicine for massage therapists and how to address them.
- Describe the team work, timing, skills needed and working conditions for a sports massage therapist.
- Describe the benefits of massage therapy for both athletes and therapists.
- List the challenges of working in a sports medicine setting and how to break into the field.
- Describe the three phases of injuries and the process determining tailored treatment therapies for athletes.
- List symptoms and ratings for five injuries common to sports medicine.
- Describe information gathering with HOPS for athletes.
- List massage therapy techniques adapted for use in sports medicine.
About the author(s)
Steve Jurch has worked in the clinical or sports environment for 20 years. Additionally, he has 17 years of teaching experience ranging from directing a massage therapy program to teaching continuing education both nationally and internationally. He has authored a clinical massage textbook and is under contract to develop a sports massage textbook. He has a Master of Arts in Health, Physcial Education and Recreation from Murray State University and a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Fitness from Florida State University. He received his license in massage therapy with a specialization in sports massage in 1993.
Please note that you must complete each AMTA online learning course and pass the exam one year from the date of purchase. If you do not complete the course and pass the exam within one year, you will be required to re-purchase the course.
Online courses expire one year from the date of purchase. When a course expires, you will no longer have access to the course materials and will be required to re-purchase the course.
Course Approval Codes
LCEU0002212; DE #111410, MSP #199
This course contains information that is proprietary. None of the material contained within this course may be used without the express written permission of AMTA unless otherwise indicated in the course. As a reminder, before practicing any new modalities or techniques, check with your state’s massage therapy regulatory authority to ensure they are within the state’s defined scope of practice for massage therapy.
Online courses are non-refundable. AMTA will not cover fees incurred from duplicate payments, insufficient funds, stopped payments or credit/debit cards over credit limits.